Every now and then we read about a natural disaster devastating a city in some part of the world with enormous waves. Watching the television footage I am always amazed that some trees are able to withstand the wind and the waves while everything else is blowing away. How do they do it?
With strong deep roots.
A tree with deep roots can whether any storm. In your life and mine it is only a matter of time before this next storm gets here. The death of a loved one, unemployment, financial difficulties, a troubled child, a natural disaster, marital strife or any number of other things, the storms of life are inevitable. The question is not if there will be another storm. The question is when will another storm get here. And when another storm gets here it is too late to sink the roots. When the next storm gets here you either have the roots or you don’t.
— Rediscover Catholicism, by Matthew Kelly
Hard Things You Need To Do To Be GREAT.
influenced by Dan Waldschmidt, Edgy Conversations
You have to do the hard things. You can say it, but will you do it?… very few will, the great ones ALWAYS do. ALWAYS, since the history of time, the great ones understand this, no matter what their position or job title. Be the light of the world. Find your purpose.
- You have to make the call you’re afraid to make.
- You have to get up earlier than you want to get up.
- You have to give more than you get in return right away.
- You have to care more about others than they care about you.
- You have to fight when you are already injured, bloody, and sore.
- You have to invest in yourself even though no one else is.
- You have to grind out the details when it’s easier to shrug them off.
- You have to deliver results when making excuses is an option.
- You have to make mistakes and look like an idiot.
- You have to try and fail and try again.
- You have to run faster even though you’re out of breath.
- You have to be kind to people who have been cruel to you.
- You have to meet deadlines that are unreasonable and deliver results that are unparalleled.
- You have to be accountable for your actions even when things go wrong.
- You have to keep moving towards where you want to be no matter what’s in front of you.
You have to do the hard things. The things that no one else is doing. The things that scare you. The things that make you wonder how much longer you can hold on.
Those are the things that define you. Those are the things that make the difference between living a life of mediocrity or outrageous success.
The hard things are the easiest things to avoid. To excuse away. To pretend like they don’t apply to you.
The simple truth about how ordinary people accomplish outrageous feats of success is that they do the hard things that smarter, wealthier, more qualified people don’t have the courage — or desperation — to do.
Do the hard things. You might be surprised at how amazing you really are.
When I get frustrated with you, and I am sure I have, it’s ALWAYS because I believe in you more than you believe in yourself. I work with you because I truly believe you are one of the few people I have met that have the capacity to be great.